With Microsoft’s massive investment into cloud applications and specifically Dynamics CRM Online we expect to see many customers moving from On-Premise to Online as a part of their IT strategies, and new customers jumping straight to CRM Online from the get go.
Here are a few points as to why CRM Online is the future and more powerful than ever!
Dynamics CRM Online is currently hosted in seven Datacentres:
- North America
- South America
There are also multiple cache locations around the globe to aid user experience and response.
- Local Datacenter Support Team
- Automated self healing process
- 24/7 response to all alerts and messages
- Service engineers on call for escalated issues
- CRM Server is hard copied to another server in the same Datacenter
- Data replication to two different servers in second datacenter in same region on each save
- Daily backups of CRM Database
In the event of a full datacenter failure, your CRM Online instance will have the DNS automatically updated and direct you to the failover instance.
Compliance and Data Protection:
All microsoft datacenters have extensive industry certifications.
- PCI DSS1.2
- EU Model Clause, U Safe Harbor, UKIL2
- EU Data Processing Agreement
- Government requirements
Technical Difference between Online and OnPremise:
- SSRS reports (FetchXML only)
- Static Marketing List Member limit of 50,000
- No Access to SQL Server, therefore no unsupported data manipulation
- Plugins run in isolation (sandbox)
- Workflow and Custom Entity limit
Administrative Difference between Online and OnPremise:
- Backups and restorations handled by Microsoft Online Services. You cannot take the database offline and local.
- Database size is 5GB initially on a new instance and you receive 2.5GB for each 20 professional license users
- No access to registry, services, IIS etc.
- Authentication is provided by O365 natively, however using ADFS you can federate your own domain to provide pass-through authentication to CRM Online.
Dev, Test and Production (My favourite :-))
Non-Production organisations can be created for development, test and uat environments.
By using the O365 Administration Tools you can create these environments the following ways:
- Minimal Copy (creates an instance with the same customisations and schema)
- Full Copy (create an instance with the same data, customisations and schema)
Once you are done with the environments, you are able to reset them back to the state they were before debugging or performing UAT testing.
Images of the environments can also be stored and you can load an image at any time.
These instances are all hosted in the same datacenter as your production environment so this provides you with the same speed and performance as your production environment.
These non production environments are not free unless you have more than 25 full licensed users, in which case you will receive a free development instance.